Saturday, 4 May 2013

Will we see past Lara's again?

Since the new Tomb Raider has come out, I've began to think about the other Tomb Raiders. It made me think about the character of Lara that we have seen.

The classic Lara (1996 - 2003) had a complete biography with background information from when she was younger, her fears, an experience she had when she was 21, all sorts. She was a carefully scripted character.

Crystal Lara (2006 - 2010) showed emotion through gameplay at times. In Tomb Raider Anniversary Lara looked at her hands when she killed Larson and at the end of the game in order to show that she had blood on her hands. It was to show that Lara was a murderer, but that she HAD to do it.

When a game reboots a franchise with a completely new version of the character, does that mean that we never see the past Lara's ever again officially? Does this mean we will never see out Angel of Darkness trilogy or our Guardian of Light sequel? Now that we have the new Lara, does it mean there is no going back to the past games or developing on their stories?

Don't get me wrong, I love the new game, the story and the new Lara Croft. It just bothers me a bit that we might never see these Lara's again. The character that I grew up with that will never have another adventure.

I'm not entirely sure about what this "Lara Croft Reflections" project is that popped up. I'm hoping it's another side project like Guardian of Light. But I don't think it will be the same Lara. Most defiantly the newest Lara Croft will portray it (don't quote me on this, just a theory!) like I'd expect it to.

Please let me know what you think about this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment